The Nós Somos Energia / EOLO program is a project aimed at teaching children about clean energy sources and energy efficiency.
Directed at 9 and 10 year-old 4th grade students, it follows the curricular plan elaborated by Cabo Verde’s Ministry of Education and Sports and is a different and innovative way of teaching these themes. Having had its start in 2015, the program has already had the participation of roughly 4,811 students from 234 classes throughout 146 schools within the islands of Santiago, São Nicolau, Boa Vista, São Vicente, Fogo and Santo Antão.
EOLO visits schools in various of the country’s islands to introduce energy sources and teach how to save energy from an educational and entertaining perspective, bringing excitement and joy into classrooms.
With active participation throughout the program – from participatory intervention when the classes are administered to involvement with the drawing contest – all children are invited to participate directly in each activity. The initiative is also extended to all parents and guardians, with the development of specific information for the joint promotion of changes in behavior.
The EOLO is intended to:
- Provide an educational and entertaining introduction to the different sources of energy and the impacts they have on the environment;
- Raise children’s awareness regarding the need for the more rational use of electrical energy;
- Involve students and promote future changes in behavior in order to foster energy efficiency;
- Value existing natural resources in Cabo Verde;
- Involve parents and guardians, encouraging their interest in the school and in their children’s curricular activities while transmitting a message of effective changes in behavior with regards to energy consumption.
Involving students, teachers and parents and integrated in the Ministry of Education and Sport’s curricular plan, the “Nós Somos Energia” project promotes the education, awareness and involvement of all.